Health, Higher Education, and Administration
The Parade Ground was the ceremonial center of fort life and will remain open space. Along Colter Avenue’s southern edge, The Barracks District consists of the community’s largest buildings. After the state took over the property in 1947, the barracks were converted into the Governor Bacon Health Center where skilled care services continue to be provided by the State of Delaware.
30,000 square feet of existing space is available for office, public administration, technical or educational purposes. 140,000 sq. ft. of new construction is also programmed into the district along with the restoration of 6 residential buildings.