Three Forts Ferry service between Fort Mott, Fort Delaware State Park and Delaware City/Fort DuPont
After visiting Fort Delaware and Pea Patch Island, you can re-board the Three Forts Ferry and continue across the Delaware River to Fort Mott on the New Jersey coast. This fortification was constructed in 1896 before the Spanish-American War. From Fort Mott, the Three Forts Ferry picks up passengers for the return trip to Delaware City via Fort Delaware.
The third fort for which the ferry is named is Fort DuPont located on the Delaware side of the river. It is separated from Delaware City by the branch canal and can be accessed by walking along the canal and crossing Fifth Street Bridge (distance: one mile) or by car.
Delaware State Parks maintains nature trails throughout Fort DuPont, and many of the buildings used through World War II when the fort was a prisoner of war camp for captured German soldiers from Rommel’s Afrika Korps are still standing. Boaters can launch their boats at Fort DuPont’s recently expanded and improved boat launch area.